Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dropping the Ball on 2010

Who is dropping the ball?


As I watched the ball drop in Times Square at midnight, I had the same thought I have every year. For those of us with annual enterprise, line-of-business or B2B account management targets - no matter how much we exceeded goals for last year - that ball is resetting us to 2010.

“At 11:59 PM I was 130% of plan but at 12:01 AM, 2010, I’m back to zero!” I’m celebrating – but there is some semi- humorous irony about it. - those on a non-calendar fiscal year ends don’t get to savor the same degree of celebratory irony

It’s only a symbolic zero - as long as the pipeline of strategic execution has been building through actions in the previous month, quarter, and year.

Strategic Execution

In real time though, strategic execution must already have had momentum for many of these commitments to be accomplished in the next year. It’s unfortunate that the lack of real and reliable insight on the status of that year’s strategy execution status provided a weak basis for the commitments being made 12-14 months out.

So it’s just the measurement that resets at midnight -not strategy execution.

No comments: